For anyone with a wheat, dairy, corn, soy and egg allergy, finding a blueberry muffin option is probably rare for you. This recipe for blueberry muffins offers a tasty solution that is free of each of those allergens listed above. If digestive health is a priority for you, the oat base in this recipe will provide a magnitude of benefits for healing and risk management for the gut. Oats can increase the good bacteria in your gut giving it a probiotic effect, the fiber in oats helps strengthen your digestive tract, and they help with reducing bad inflammation in the digestive tract. Cinnamon is actually a critical ingredient for health purposes in this recipe. Cinnamon has a counteractive effect on high levels of processed sugars that are frequently found in what we consume. It has been shown that high blood sugar has led to type two diabetes, but cinnamon reduces blood sugar in a way that mitigates the risk of type two diabetes.
Of the most recent studies, cinnamon has shown to decrease LDL (bad) cholesterol by 9.4 mg/dL and a decrease in triglycerides of 29.6 mg/dL. (Note that high levels of LDL cholesterol and triglycerides lead to type two diabetes). Studies also showed HDL (good) cholesterol increased by 1.7 mg/dL when cinnamon was consumed following meals.
- 2 ½ cups uncooked oats- pulverize in blender for 45 seconds, or until flour
- consistency is achieved
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cups oat milk
- 3 tablespoons applesauce
- 2 egg whites* (or equivalent in Ener-G egg replacer)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Combine finely ground oats, brown sugar, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, beat milk, oil, and egg whites (or egg replacer)
- Add milk mixture and blueberries to dry ingredients; mixing until just moistened
- Ladle into lined muffin tins, filling almost full
- Bake for 20 minutes(or until golden brown) in a 400 degree preheated oven.
GFCF, EF, SF, DF
- GFCF – gluten free casein free
- SF – soy free
- DF – dairy free
- EF – egg free