Despite the word “sweet” in their name, sweet potatoes are inarguably healthier than regular potatoes. They are quite delicious too. And this classic spin on sweet potatoes is a great side at the dinner table.
Sweet potatoes have been celebrated for their insane amount of vitamin A, as well as solid amounts of vitamin C, B, and E. Just one cup holds over 700% of your daily value of vitamin A, which is great for eye health. Sweet potatoes also have manganese that promotes relaxation and good sleep and plenty of fiber for digestion.
- 2 large onions
- 4 tsp GFCF margarine
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar or sugar alternative
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- Cut onions into 3/4-in pieces
- Peel and slice potatoes
- Over medium high heat, melt margarine in a skillet
- Cook onions till translucent
- Add sweet potatoes and water
- Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until sweet potatoes are nearly tender
- Uncover and add brown sugar and rosemary
- Continue to cook over medium-low heat, stirring gently, until onions
- and sweet potatoes shine with a glaze
- Garnish with more fresh rosemary
GFCF, SF, EF, DF
- GFCF – gluten free casein free
- SF – soy free
- DF – dairy free
- EF – egg free
I gotta say this sounds great at Thanksgiving
it is! my family does a similar recipe every year and it is divine
Perfect side dish! So tasty
If you’re feeling a little adventurous, try adding a little vanilla and a squeeze of lemon
Whoa new dimensions of flavor right there
Now I can’t wait for Thanksgiving this year
Seriously, it’s my favorite holiday. Even more than Christmas
True true. Don’t have to worry about presents!
Ahhh you’re a smart cookie
Don’t get me wrong! I still send gifts. But just giftcards. Choosing presents is a whole thing
My family LOVED this. It’ll be a dinner table staple now!
Just like my mom’s. I can’t thank you enough
Sometimes I can’t tell if the meat or this is the signature dish
Anyone try adding bourbon?
My new sweet potato recipe, yummmmmy
Honestly, I was all about yams but this dish is changing my mind
need to get out of bed….and make this….10 more minutes
I’m adding this one to my Thanksgiving spread this fall
my home smells like heaven now!
I wouldn’t mind if heaven smells like Thanksgiving, like all the time