When you’re eating so carefully everyday, a healthier “cheat meal” is just what you need.
If you have kids, they will love this too!
This is more of a cheat meal of course, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any ingredients with health benefits going into it.
For a little spicy kick, we added cayenne. Not so much that it tastes spicy, but to give us some great flavor.
This pepper can pack quite a punch if you add too much, but well worth it as it packs some nutritional benefits too.
It helps ease pain, clears congestion, and improves digestion. It contains antioxidants and the infamous capsaicin that we associate with spiciness. While capsaicin may inflame your taste buds, it actually helps protect against inflammation in the rest of your body. Reducing inflammation can help maintain lower blood pressure and heart health.
And to benefit from this hot little pepper, you don’t need enough to burn off your tongue!
- 1/3 cup GFCF flour of your choice, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Optional, 2 Tbsp corn flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- White pepper or cayenne
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp neutral oil
- 1/2 cup seltzer water (plain water works fine)
- 10 GFCF hot dogs/tofu dogs
- 2/3 cups stone-ground cornmeal
- A good, neutral frying oil
- Sauces for dipping: GFCF ketchup, mustard, or hot sauce
- Mix all batter ingredients in a large bowl
- Insert skewers in the hot dogs
- Dust with flour
- Dip into batter
- In a large frying pan or pot, add enough oil to submerge the corn dogs
- Heat to about 375F, or about medium-high to high heat
- Fry a few corn dogs, until they have browned
- Drain on paper towels
- Serve with your favorite sauces!
GFCF – gluten free casein free