Rice dishes are no doubt comfort food. Here’s a dish with spice that keeps you more warm inside than steaming out of your mouth.
Curries are often made from a blend of spices, and with all those spices comes tons of flavor and health properties.
Turmeric is the star here, as it will give your food hues of gold. But it’s not just for show. Turmeric boasts plenty of health benefits too. Curcumin is the major ingredient in turmeric. It has strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Active research in turmeric is finding out the role it plays in reducing arthritis to ulcerative colitis.
More definitive research has to be done, but there are links to improving memory and helping keep Alzheimer’s at bay.
- 1 1/2 cups Basmati rice
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 onion
- 3 tsp Madras curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 lb. chicken breast or thighs
- Boil water
- Quarter and thinly slice onion
- Slice chicken into thin strips
- In a large electric slow cooker, mix together all the ingredients
- Cover and cook on high heat setting for 1 hour
- Reduce heat to low and cook another 2 1/2 to 3 hours covered
- Rice should be tender and chicken cooked through
GFCF, SF, EF, DF
- GFCF – gluten free casein free
- SF – soy free
- DF – dairy free
- EF – egg free