Everyone’s favorite cold treat – ice cream!
Except you’re in charge of the ingredients, the sugars, and the flavors.
This recipe usually calls for an ice cream machine, but you can get away with two mixing bowls (metal preferred), and either a hand-mixer or a whisk with a lot of elbow grease.
- 3 tsp gelatin
- 1 1/2 cups water (used half at a time)
- 1/8 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/2 cup muscovado sugar or sugar alternative (ie. stevia or monkfruit)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen fruit and/or juice concentrate
- 10 oz soft or silken tofu
- 1/4 cup avocado or neutral oil
- Alternatively, substitute 1 1/2 cups GFCF heavy cream for tofu and oil
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice, fresh
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Thaw frozen fruit/concentrate
- Drain tofu
- Add 3/4 cups water to saucepan and set over low heat
- Add gelatin to dissolve, heat for 3 min
- Mix in salt and sugar, stirring to dissolve
- Remove from heat
- In a blender, blend juice, tofu/heavy cream, oil, lemon juice, vanilla, 3/4 cups pure water and process until very smooth
- Add gelatin mixture
- Freeze in ice cream machine, according to manufacturer’s instructions
- Alternatively, chill two mixing bowls (metal for best results), nest one inside the other, add the ice cream, and whip for 10 min (hand-mixer works best!). For more airy ice cream, chill in the freezer for 30 min, and repeat this 2 or 3 more times
- Makes 2 pints.
GFCF, SF, EF, DF
- GFCF – gluten free casein free
- Soy Optional
- Dairy optional
- EF – egg free