I am a big fan of Belgian waffles, however, most recipes call for glutenous flour bases. In this case, we can create a delicious Belgian waffle product with gluten free and allergen free base. Gluten free white rice flour is a versatile base with a milder taste than most gluten flour bases. Also note that white rice flour is not mandatory for this recipe. Some substitutes include buckwheat flour and chickpea flour. The pear juice is an optional flavorful addition, but fresh pear juice is an underrated option for cardiovascular health. With hypertension becoming more and more prevalent in the United States, the potassium levels in pear juice relieve strain on blood vessels and the iron in pear juice is great for increasing red blood cell production.
The scientific evidence shows that apple or pear intake significantly decreases risk of cardiovascular disease, type two diabetes, and all-cause mortality. Most studies observe a decrease in BMI which minimizes strain on the human body in general. “Our review found that higher intake of apple, pear, or combined apple and pear was associated with a significant decrease in BMI in RCTs, and a significant decrease in the risk of cerebrovascular disease, CVD/CMD mortality, diabetes, and all-cause mortality in observational studies.”
- 1 cup fresh pear juice (or substitute)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup cooked beans (or sweet potato; see variations)
- 1/2 cup gluten free potato flour
- 1/2 cup gluten free white rice flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 2 Tbl. GFCF baking powder
- dash of sea salt (or small amount of regular salt)
- optional: nuts, such as pecans
- Ingredients are best if they are blended together, including the nuts, and remember the nuts are not a dire need if you are allergic to any.
- Heat waffle maker and place batter on hot waffle maker.
- Cook the waffles for roughly 5 minutes.
- This dish can be served with any additional protein or fruit dishes if desired.
GFCF, SF, DF, EF
- GFCF – gluten free casein free
- SF – soy free
- DF – dairy free
- EF – egg free