French toast is a classic breakfast dish that nobody deserves to live without. The following recipe is a simple and easy way to enjoy delicious french toast while staying clear of allergens. If you have an egg allergy, or want to serve french toast at a holiday party, I highly suggest using a ground flax seed option that mimics the presence of egg in the traditional french toast dish. To make a flax egg, you just need two ingredients: water and flaxseed meal. You need to take one tablespoon of ground flaxseed and mix it with 2.5 tablespoons of water. Once those two ingredients are mixed, you let them sit for 5 minutes and you have your flax egg ready to go. The recipe suggests that you include pecans in your french toast, but this is optional of course. If you have a pecan allergy, a good substitute might be to add macadamia nuts.
Flax is a great alternative to eggs even if you aren’t allergic. Along with being nutrient dense, there are many surprising health benefits associated with flax consumption like lowered risk of diabetes, cancer, cardiovascular disease, kidney disease, and high cholesterol. In one study, 29 diabetic volunteers consumed 10 ga of flaxseed or a placebo over an extended period of time. In the end, those who ate flax seeds reduced their blood glucose by a whopping 19.7% and glycated hemoglobin by 15.6%. This strongly suggests that flax seed can not only lower the risk of diabetes, but help mitigate symptoms in those actively dealing with diabetes.
- 1 loaf tapioca bread
- 3 eggs or Ground Flax seed egg replacement if allergic to eggs
- 1 cup GFCF milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. GFCF vanilla
- 1 1/2 tbsp. honey
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Slice bread diagonally into 1 inch thick pieces
- Use a large bowl and whisk together the eggs (or flax eggs), honey, and cinnamon
- Once Thoroughly mixed, stir in the milk and vanilla
- Dip the bread pieces in the mixture. Be sure to coat both sides.
- Arrange in pans, cover, and refrigerate overnight
- In the morning remove them from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking and uncovering
- Next, sprinkle with chopped nuts (optional)
- Bake 350 F for about one hour until browned, let it rest for 5 minutes before cutting
GFCF, DF, SF
- GFCF – gluten free casein free
- SF – soy free
- DF – dairy free
- EF – egg free