Being allergic to cow’s milk has always been a challenge. I have even become weary of components and verbiage used in other products such as whey, lactose, etc. It can sometimes be difficult to create a dish that tries to “imitate” another, which traditionally includes so many dairy products. Tofu is commonly used as a substitute for meat, but I have found that it can also be a nutritious and tasty substitute for cheese that is used in a variety of pastas.
Tofu Nutrition Facts:
- Tofu is a low carbohydrate food. A half-cup serving contains only 3.5 grams of carbs, most of which happen to come from fiber.
- One serving of firm tofu contains around 11 grams of fat, although most come from healthy fats such as monounsaturated fat and polyunsaturated fats. About 1.6 grams of fat in a serving of firm tofu is saturated fat.
- Many people enjoy tofu as a protein substitute because it contains nearly 22 grams per serving.
Ricotta Cheese Substitute
- 1 pound firm tofu
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt or himalayan rock salt
- Combine 3/4 of the tofu with everything else and mash smooth, or use a food processor.
- Mash in remaining tofu with a spoon to give the right texture.
Macaroni and “Cheese”
- 14 oz. uncooked GFCF elbow macaroni
- 4 cups water
- 10 oz. Ricotta cheese substitute, or soft silken tofu.
- 1 cup soy milk or rice milk
- 1/2 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 3 tbsp crumbled soymage
- Salt (to taste, see Note 1)
- 2 tbsp GFCF margarine or canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (see Note 2)
- Boil macaroni in water until just underdone, drain, rinse in cold water.
- Blend tofu and soymilk in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Add tahini, soymage, and salt;mix until smooth.
- In a large bowl, stir together macaroni and ‘cheese’ sauce.
- Place mixture in lightly oiled oven proof casserole; top with pats of margarine.
- Bake until golden and bubbly, about 20 minutes. Serves 10.
If the flavor is not “cheese” like, then it needs more salt. I like to use himalayan salt because it contains many nutrients and also adds more of that salty flavor with less than other alternatives.
You do not need to bake it. Of course, you need to cook the noodles longer if you’re not baking the dish.
- DF – dairy free
- EF – egg free