Being allergic to cow’s milk has always been a challenge. I have even become weary of components and verbiage used in other products such as whey, lactose, etc. It can sometimes be difficult to create a dish that tries to “imitate” another, which traditionally includes so many dairy products. Tofu is commonly used as a substitute for meat, but I have found that it can also be a nutritious and tasty substitute for cheese that is used in a variety of pastas.
Tofu Nutrition Facts:
- Tofu is a low carbohydrate food. A half-cup serving contains only 3.5 grams of carbs, most of which happen to come from fiber.
- One serving of firm tofu contains around 11 grams of fat, although most come from healthy fats such as monounsaturated fat and polyunsaturated fats. About 1.6 grams of fat in a serving of firm tofu is saturated fat.
- Many people enjoy tofu as a protein substitute because it contains nearly 22 grams per serving.
Ricotta Cheese Substitute
- 1 pound firm tofu
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt or himalayan rock salt
- Combine 3/4 of the tofu with everything else and mash smooth, or use a food processor.
- Mash in remaining tofu with a spoon to give the right texture.
Macaroni and “Cheese”
- 14 oz. uncooked GFCF elbow macaroni
- 4 cups water
- 10 oz. Ricotta cheese substitute, or soft silken tofu.
- 1 cup soy milk or rice milk
- 1/2 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 3 tbsp crumbled soymage
- Salt (to taste, see Note 1)
- 2 tbsp GFCF margarine or canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (see Note 2)
- Boil macaroni in water until just underdone, drain, rinse in cold water.
- Blend tofu and soymilk in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Add tahini, soymage, and salt;mix until smooth.
- In a large bowl, stir together macaroni and ‘cheese’ sauce.
- Place mixture in lightly oiled oven proof casserole; top with pats of margarine.
- Bake until golden and bubbly, about 20 minutes. Serves 10.
If the flavor is not “cheese” like, then it needs more salt. I like to use himalayan salt because it contains many nutrients and also adds more of that salty flavor with less than other alternatives.
You do not need to bake it. Of course, you need to cook the noodles longer if you’re not baking the dish.
- DF – dairy free
- EF – egg free
I love cooking but just have no time to come up with my own recipes. These recipes are bomb. I’m so glad I found something that is both easy and delicious. I can’t recommend it enough!
who knew tofu could be used instead of cheese?!?!
Tofu is pretty versatile, ever try tofurkey?
the what the who now?
It’s tofu turkey. Helps me miss Thanksgiving less!
They make tofu noodles out of these, so they’re great for low-carb!
idk I heard tofu turns men more girly
Tofu does have phytoestrogens. But they don’t work the same way, and you probalby need to eat a literal ton before that even begins to happen.
So what’s wrong with being more girly? Please do explain
you did this to yourself tofu man *grabs popcorn
Lucas is a great cook and I am amazed by his quick and easy dishes. All those years of following a gluten-free diet has really paid off!
Thank goodness this doesn’t have Velveeta
yeah, velveeta looks and taste like plastic
Anyone try cauliflower in place of the pasta? I’ve seen recipes all over, surprised there isn’t one here
Who eats mac n cheese to eat vegetables is my question
OH! My friend and I made it last Sunday. Definitely different but it hits the craving for sure!
Cauliflower is like super healthy. I substitute it for so many things like rice and mashed potatoes
When I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease, I panicked. All of my favorite foods were filled with gluten and I didn’t know how to cook without it. Then my friend told me about a recipe she tried for gluten-free mac n cheese…it was delicious. So I tried it, and since then, this blog has been my favorite because it is fast and convenient
I can’t believe it. A mac and cheese alternative perfect for me. Thank you so much!
I was scared my kids would throw it on the floor…..but they actually love it! This recipe is a life saver
Jealous! My kids took one bite and – well, I’m taking a quick break from cleaning the dining room
My allergies like this one!