Here’s a hearty stew that, with a bit of time, delivers some juicy pork. Really warms and fills you up on a cold day!
Oregano in this dish is what makes it sing. It’s a popular herb in both Hispanic and Mediterranean dishes. It compliments meat very well, but can brighten up veggies too!
I always add extra oregano “to taste” as I would salt and pepper; always more than what the recipe calls for. But that’s just me. It’s more for flavor than for the health benefits, but as you may already guess, this herb boasts great nutritional value too.
The flavor and scent comes from thymol, carvacrol, limonene, and others. A host of antioxidants that naturally eliminates free radicals. Like other herbs used in herbal medicine, it’s anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory. Since centuries ago, people have used it to treat colds, indigestion, cramps, asthma, and aching muscles.
Nothing like eating a hearty soup to help put those maladies to rest.
- 1 Tbsp neutral oil
- 2 pounds pork shoulder
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp cumin
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 3 Tbsp arrowroot
- 1 28-oz can tomatoes
- 1 cup GFCF milk
- 1 onion
- 1 can corn
- 2 zucchini
- 3 Tbsp parsley
- Cut pork into 3/4-in pieces
- Mince garlic
- Dice onion
- Cut tomatoes
- Halve zucchini lengthwise then slice thinly
- Chop parsley
- Set Dutch oven (or large pot) over medium-high heat, oil
- Sear half the pork, stirring to brown
- Remove and repeat with last half of pork
- Return all pork
- Add garlic, onion, cumin and oregano
- Cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Stir in tomatoes, corn, milk, arrowroot
- Turn up heat till a boil, stirring occasionally
- Reduce heat to low and cover
- Cook 40 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add zucchini
- Turn up heat to boil again, then reduce heat to low
- Cover and cook for 15 min or until pork and zucchini are fork tender
- Add parsley
- Serves 6-8 portions
GFCF, SF, EF
- GFCF – gluten free casein free
- SF – soy free
- EF – egg free
IS THIS NOT CHILI VERDE??
ikwym i luvvvv chili verde
MAYBE YOU CAN JUST ADD A CAN OF SAUCEE
omg im so gonna try that
delicious with some tortillas on the side!
mm can’t forget toasted tortillas
or tortilla chips!
this is our favorite home meal!1 love your write ups
Sounds super delicious! Always down for a new soup recipe
it’s so EASY to make tooo
Does this work with other cuts of pork though?
have it your wayyyy is what i always sayy
Wow making this now and it smells amazing
Don’t forget the vent fan or your house will smell of it
Is that such a bad thing haha!
You got a good point there
sounds like a day for nachoOOoooS
Substituting cilantro for parsley tastes great too
that does sound more traditional, but what do i know
Why not both!