This one is a quick and easy one folks! I like having sausage seasoning on hand just like I love having a taco seasoning on hand. If some ground pork looks good at the store and/or is on sale, then I know I can come home and quickly cook up some mean sausage patties.
In this recipe, the ingredient that gets my taste buds tingling is nutmeg. For lack of a better word, it definitely is nutty. But it also has this flavor and aroma that you can’t get anywhere else. It’s like extra savories that rounds out the sausage.
And of course as a spice its packing health benefits too. Nutmeg has a whole host of antioxidants to help cellular repair, including cyanidins, phenylpropanoids, and protocatechuic, ferulic and caffeic acids. Nutmeg consumers can also benefit from its anti-inflammatory properties from monoterpenes and anti-bacterial properties. It’s no wonder nutmeg is used in herbal medicines.
- 2 oz salt
- 5 oz black pepper
- 2 oz nutmeg
- 1 1/2 oz sage
- Honestly, you can add so much here from paprika for smokiness, fennel seed for that Italian flavor, cayenne for spice…this sausage mix is yours!
- For 3 lb. ground pork, use 1 ounce of sausage mix
- Mix the seasoning throughout the meat
- Shape into patties
- Heat a pan on the stove at medium heat and oil
- Add patties and cook 2-3 min each side, or until brown
GFCF, SF, EF, DF
- GFCF – gluten free casein free
- SF – soy free
- DF – dairy free
- EF – egg free